Les Vignobles Foncalieu
100% CABERNET SAUVIGNON
Les Roucas Cabernet Sauvignon
Thanks to their meticulous selection of the very best vine plots, the Foncalieu winegrowers have crafted a magnificent range of terroir wines. Their technical teams include international talents who revel in this mosaic of terroirs. Michel Servage and the 1,200 winegrowing estate owners produce upmarket wines of excellent quality. With the help of a group of pioneering winegrowers, Foncalieu has committed to organic agriculture. It is a choice which requires more work and greater investment, to produce lower per-hectare yields. But it is a source of great pride for us to be able to offer consumers wines sprung from soils which are healthier and more alive than ever before.
Very generous fruit and a weighty mouthfeel with primary aromas of red fruit in the nose. With it’s soft tannins, the wine goes great with almost anything from pizza to steak.
Our Cabernet Sauvignon vineyards have limestone and clay soils located throughout the eastern Aude and western Hérault. These ares are known for their diverse climates, relatively arid temperatures and rough terrain. But the wind direction in Puichéric (Aude) is usually Atlantic and quite cooler, bringing with it much more precipitation than the Mediterranean winds that blow over Beziers (Hérault) and onto St. Chinian.
To diminish the tannins and create round, less structured wines with great color, they thermo-vinify about 80% of the production. This process of heating the berries and breaking down the skins and pulp lets them skip the entire maceration stage and go to fermentation in just a day. The other 20% is traditionally macerated for about 2 weeks and is then sent to fermentation. In the thermo, we get great color but lose almost all the tannins and some aromatic components. The part that they traditionally vinify replaces the lost elements and governs the aromatic profile with a nose of pure red fruit and violets.